Grain Free Muffins
This recipe is a grain-free. It is versatile and can be made to be vegetarian if you like. For those of you that may not have a microwave, I included some tips for baking the muffins in the oven.
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup flaxmeal
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream or coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Pinch salt
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Tbsp ghee or butter for frying
- 1 Tbsp butter or cream cheese for spreading
- 2 slices cheddar cheese or other hard type cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 cups greens lettuce, kale, chard, spinach, watercress, etc. + less than 1 g net carbs per serving)
- Optional: 4 slices crisped up bacon or Pancetta
- Place all the dry ingredients in a small bowl and combine well.
- Add the egg, cream, water and mix well using a fork.
- Grate the cheese and add it to the mixture. Combine well and place in single serving ramekins.
- Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. Tips for cooking in the oven: If you don’t have a microwave, I suggest you make 4-8 servings at once. Preheat the oven to 175 °C and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked in the centre.
- Meanwhile, fry the eggs. Cook the eggs until the egg white is opaque and the yolks still runny. Season with salt and pepper and take off the heat.
- Cut the muffins in half and spread some butter on the inside of each of the halves.
- Top each with slices of cheese, egg and mustard. Optionally, serve with greens (lettuce, spinach, watercress, chard, etc.) and bacon.
- Enjoy immediately! The muffins (without the filling) can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
If you need to make this recipe nut free use more flaxmeal (same amount) or coconut flour (half the amount).