Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon is a pressure cooker recipe with beef cooked in red wine with mushrooms, onions, and carrots. You could also use a slow cooker for this recipe and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours - follow the instructions of your slow cooker. You don't need to fry everything up before putting into the pressure or slow cooker, you can just add in all the ingredients at once and cook.
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 kg stewing beef cut into 1 - 2 cm cubes
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 onion chopped
- 250 grams button mushrooms quartered
- 2 carrots chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 bay leaves
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum or cornstarch read post for instructions
- 1 - 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt & pepper
- Generously season beef chunks with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In a fry pan add diced bacon and cook for about 5 minutes until crispy, stirring frequently. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the beef to the frypan r and cook for a few minutes to brown, then flip and repeat for the other side. Transfer to a plate when done.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes to soften, stirring frequently. Add red wine and tomato paste, using a wooden spoon to briefly scrape up flavorful brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Stir to check that the tomato paste is dissolved.
- Transfer everything and remaining ingredients into the pressure cooker or slow cooker the beef back to the pot. Top with bay leaves. Secure and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 40 minutes, followed by a manual pressure release.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve into bowls and top with crispy bacon.